Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
Sunday 22 February 2009

Clink... Clank...

Posted by Cheng Jie

Remember the times when soda was the biggest thing ever? And when it used to come out of the production line in glass bottles?


Well... I sure don't. When I was born, almost all soda was sold in aluminium cans.

But from what I heard from my aunts, uncles and parents, back then getting the chance to drink soda was like a gift from the heavens and it was always very much looked forward to. Not like us now, when we could get it anytime we want. (Yet another example to show just how much we take things for granted.)

And also back then, all soda was produced in glass bottles.

Nowadays, especially in this country for one, you don't get to see soda bottled up. I can bet that some of us have probably never even seen bottled soda in person before, what more drink from one.

For me, well at least I can say that I have.

Back in Kuching during Chinese New Year this year, my uncle discovered this one company that still deals with bottled soda.

Various flavours of bottled soda

This to some of you, may not seem particularly interesting. But heck, this is like a gem stone in the urban city of today.


The soda comes in various flavours of which some are grape, orange and ice cream soda. Also, the soda in it isn't as carbonated as the regular soda you find in aluminium cans so it is actually less fizzy.


The company however, has one special condition when you buy their soda. You have to pay a deposit upon purchase which will be returned only when you return the bottles in good condition.

So yes, I drank from a bottle that probably some other stranger drank from, from which another stranger probably spat in, from which another stranger probably did only who know's what to it. o.o


But of course all the bottles are cleaned and probably sterilized too, before the company refills it with soda once more... or at least that's what I'm told.

Hence, by employing this "return bottles to get your money back" tactic, the company saves money by not having to manufacture more and more bottles.

It was certainly interesting to have come over this discovery. Now the only thing left that I would like to experience from the soda world is...

*Notices sealed glass top* "So how do I open it to drink from it?" o.o

Drinking from this.

0 comments: