Subscribe
Add to Technorati Favourites
Add to del.icio.us
Friday 27 February 2009

Sitting on a Lotus leaf...

Posted by Cheng Jie

Since I recently commented on the food scene in our lovely country of Brunei Darussalam, I only see it fit that I do some "research" on the current competition first before I "venture" into the restaurant industry.

So one Friday, I went to I Lotus for dinner with my family. We had this $50 voucher and it was expiring soon, so we had to use it as soon as possible.

The restaurant is housed in well... a house >.>


But don't let this fool you. The restaurant exudes a welcoming atmosphere the moment you get out of your car. Although it was raining that evening, no downpour could have dampened my spirits from looking forward to a hopefully good meal.

Glittering stars welcome you...

We were greeted by the staff at the door and upon presenting our reservation, we were led to our seat. The interior of the restaurant presents a comfortable setting to dine and enjoy your meal, with the lighting set to a relaxing ambience and soft music from the 90's playing in the background, they have indeed done a wonderful job to get you in the mood for an enjoyable dinner.

So as we sat down at our table, we took a look at their menu.


After going through so many choices. we decided on 5 courses for dinner (all at small servings that serve 2-4 people).

Our 5 courses for the night

Order up at table no. 12!

So for starters, we had soup...


Look at all them goodies...

Three Variety Seafood Fish Maw Soup is essentially as the name gives it off... seafood. With squid, fish and fish maw making up the "three varieties" it is a simple combination but that does not necessarily make it a bad one. The soup if my palette does not fail me, is actually made of chicken stock which complements well with the ingredients of the soup. In all, the soup was delicious but sadly nothing special that would leave a great impression.

Next up is a dish that for some reason, I'm not sure why, isn't on the menu but my parents ordered anyhow o.o. It's a simple dish of Bi Ling Vegetables.



Another very simple dish, but cooked to perfection. Stir-fried on a very strong flame, the bi ling was actually pretty crisp and crunchy, unlike the usual soft and limp ones that you would get if cooked on a low heat. A prime example of simplicity at it's best.

The next dish on the list is, Shallow Fried Lamb Chop Mongolian Style.


The tender Shallow Fried Lamb Chop Mongolian Style

The lamb meat was succulent and "falling off the bone tender". The sauce that accompanied the lamb had a peppery yet sweet taste to it, the flavour balanced out just perfectly. The only thing that I didn't like about this dish was the deep fried onion rings that went with it (the round things on top). The deep fried batter of the onion rings were too thick and just didn't taste good at all.

From meat, back to seafood. Next up on the menu was Butter Milk Fresh Fish Fillet.


Tell me your not salivating right now

Now, this in my very honest opinion is the best butter milk fish ever!!! The sauce was so creamy, rich yet not overpowering. It went incredibly well with the fish fillet. A note of advice though, if you can't handle spicy food, make sure that you pick of the small bits of chilli (the green and red garnishing). I, personally can't handle very spicy food, and with the chilli picked out, the fish still had a spicy kick to it. Nonetheless, it's still the best butter milk fish I've ever tasted. A must try!!!

Last but not least, perhaps my favourite dish of the night...



Simply amazing, absolutely delicious... Deep Fried Prawn served with Fresh Mango Salad.

T.T so... gooooood.... X.X

This was my personal favourite. The succulent prawns, so crisp that when you bite into it, the crunch you hear is simply heavenly. In fact you could eat the whole prawn whole, with the tail if you wanted to, which I did. That's how crisp I'm talking about. Hot prawns served with cold mango salad, it was a combination that was absolutely perfect. The prawns were piping hot so with the cold sweet fresh mango salad, it was just so delicious to eat together.

Our dinner was served with plain white rice...

I wish I had more of that prawn T.T

And a nice hot cup of Chinese tea that was great with the dinner.

Tea leaf fortune reader perhaps? Let me know what it says =D

After commenting about the food, another aspect that made dinner at I Lotus a good one was that service was fast, efficient and friendly. To me, although a restaurant boasts that it served the best food in the world, if service sucked, I won't have second thoughts for not eating there. Service is just as important as the food and should never be compromised. And at I Lotus they aced with their service.

Or it could just be that we were the only ones in the restaurant... >.>

"Anyone there? o.o"

To sum it all up, the ambience and atmosphere was set to soothe you into the mood for a great dinner, the food without a doubt is in a class of it's own, and service prompt and efficient you could probably drop a fork, and they might pick it up before it even hits the floor.



I would've gave them 2 thumbs up, but then I would have dropped my camera...


I Lotus, because of you, I now have to reconsider my business plan for the Murtabak Shop >.<

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHAHA! nice one jarrod. I've always fancied I lotus. I haven't been there in a while (since shu yee's birthday actually) and i see that they have improved in many aspects of their trade, i must go and chow down there sometimes soon. Good research once again mate (y)

Anonymous said...

nooo...food, of all things!! Makes me hate MD more =X, the food here may be a bit expensive but it beats eating cheap stuff at MD plus service is definitely important....dang the canteen lacks both!!!

Anonymous said...

i see you've cut your fingernails already. good work.

Anonymous said...

If onli virtual food becomes reality. grrr... i cant even type properly, now tat i keep recalling about the deep fried butter milk chicken i had back then topped with crispy brown golden cheeselike strips (though they said it was butter cooked with egg yolk..i tink) . Anyway.. nice food jay. Really made my wanna drool~

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, the way you describe them..makes me drool like hell T.T as in Barry's infamous sentence F ALL! F ALL THINGS!!! HAHAHAHAHA XD

Anonymous said...

Yea, F dem ALL!!! It cud mean anything if u put ur imagination into dat alphabet xD